Buy Music Florence and the Machine Surf Safe Official Site Exclusive Updates
in

Dog Days Are Over, behind the lyrics?

Last post 02-22-2011 10:22 PM by Clony. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2010 5:10 AM

Dog Days Are Over, behind the lyrics?

Greetings!

I am writing to ask, "What is behind the lyrics of Dog Days are Over?"

I have found various pontifications as to what it meant, but I am curious what is REALLY behind the lyrics...

Best Regards,

Brad

• 12-02-2010 12:21 PM In reply to

Re: Dog Days Are Over, behind the lyrics?

I think Flo said its about a 'feeling of euphoria running really fast with your eyes closed'.She got the title of a piece of artwork she cycled past everyday.Dog days were really hot days in summer I think.(like the opposite  dead days are the days between christmas and new year)

But Flo has also said she feels guilty that her songs don't have much meaning so maybe it doesen't mean anything in particular?She also said at the electric proms that she finds other peoples interpretations of her own songs so much better than she could ever explain them and some guy made a short film of dog days about two people finding each other.(I cant findthe video of this she was referring to though)

Madness is a nuisance and no-one is immune
  • 12-05-2010 3:20 AM In reply to

As ribbonmouse said, Dog Days Are Over was inspired by an installment by Ugo Rondinone.

My personal interpretation of the lyrics is basically loving someone and giving them everything only to have them betray you and throw everything back in your face, which links in with the theme of being blindsided by happiness and fleeing from something you love. 'Dog Days' are usually supposed to mean like the best/good days which fits in with that interpretation:

"And I never wanted anything from you/

Except everything you had/

And what was left after that too, oh/

Happiness hit her like a bullet in the back/

Struck from a great height by someone who should have know better than that"

• 02-22-2011 10:22 PM In reply to

• Clony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2010
    • Lisbon, Portugal
    • Posts 3

I think you're pretty much right.

LOL Flo's lyrics are such a mistery, she sould write a book and each chapter would be a song with a story behind it.

I dunno. Just randomly brain storming.

Is that how you spell "randomly"?

Only one life...Live it well.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)